1. Comprehensive Strategy
- EU state and non state actors should be inspired by elements from the BRI
- The BRI is a mirror showing us the insufficiencies of our own system
1.2. Build a culture of long term strategic thinking
- Conduct an information campaign to stress the need for longer term strategic visions in media and politics
- EU hosted social media platforms should be developed to counteract hype driven discussion.
1.3 Build a culture of cross sectoral and cross member states strategy
- Austrian strategy actors lead the discussion in the EU towards an offensive strategy towards the BRI
- The goals and strategy ideas of all major Strategy Makers in the EU on the BRI should be mapped
- Bring all major EU Strategy Makers to a yearly strategy development conference in Vienna (BRI and EU broad)
The EU needs a global vision and information campaign like the BRI
- THINK of a better brand name then EU Asia connectivity
- Make it global and ambitious
- Combine internal and external vision
- Use a broad vision and the backfilling effect
- Engage strategy actors and the broad public in submitting ideas
- Develop biannually an EU comprehensive strategy vision for the Balkans, Central Asia and Africa that is more inclusive than just security and development aid.
- Encourage every member state government and ministries to develop own goals and strategy towards Chinese BRI and other geographical areas.
- Provide a clear perspective for the Western Balkans (WB) countries for EU associations to strengthen the EU’s economic and political influence.
2.2 17+1 mechanism
- Convert 17+1 from speed dating into an active political instrument.
- Improve information exchange between the 17 participating countries.
- Nominate one coordinating country chairing each year.
- Develop a list of demands towards the chinese partners.
- Turnaround the proven learning mechanisms between 17 countries
- Establish a national coordinating center (like Bulgaria) in all 17 countries.
3.1 Visionary projects
- Develop visionary projects like Airbus
- Topics can be E-mobility/5G/ hydrogen technology/ AI
- Develop state support fund for visionary project
- Develop united start up market and funding in the EU to reduce transaction
3.2 Reciprocity of market access
- EBRD procurement standards are in place but not enough political pressure behind it.
- EU chambers of commerce should build a coalition with companies to demand that EU companies can participate in public procurement in China and market access (level playing field)
- Introduce last call for domestic companies in EU funded projects
- Unite industry association and workers unions to check procurement criteria in EU and candidate countries
- Speed up EU China International Procurement Instrument
- EU competition agencies need to look at international competitors when judging mergers of companies in the EU. They need to allow the building of European champions.(merger Alsthom/Siemens)
- Increase EU funding for transport infrastructure development (railroads) to the neighbouring regions (Russia, Central Asia, The Middle East, and Northern Africa)
- Make an offensive strategy to get transportation hubs under our control (ports, railroads junctures)
- EU strategy makers should come together to demand more clear investment and project plans from the Chinese to get planning certainty
3.4 Technology transfer
- White knight fund (state/ private) to buy key technology companies
- FDI screening for all key technologies (AI, semiconductor, security, sensitive infrastructure) in Europe
4. Research and development
- Stronger integration of civil and military research (DARPA)
- United National and EU funding and make it easier to apply (one application center) EU H2020 is way too complicated
- Make open application possible